This skeleton spider was bought from Costco in 2016, but I didn’t get a chance to use it that year.
Only the eyes light up. That’s OK, but not super menacing.
It’s normally powered by 3 button cells and has a 6/18 hour timer function.
I prefer all of my props be run from a 12V DC supply where possible.
So what did I do? Take it apart and modify it of course!
There was also a small circuit board that had a timer function on it.
Also remove the button cells as they will likely leak at some stage.
This limits the LED current to approx 20mA when used with a 12V supply.
We’ll use the two outer connections later.
3 sections of 60 l/m strip worked out perfectly.
The strip is tucked under one of the screw supports.
It’s also glued into place with some silicone.
One is for the incoming 6 core cable.
A zip tie on the inside stops the cable being pulled through.
A smaller hole allows for the wiring to the eye LEDs.
The third hole is for the RGB strip wires.
Routing the wiring this way makes for a neat job.
There are a lot of screws holding the skeleton together.
Try to keep track of the various screw sizes and their positions.
The wiring comes through a hole drilled in the neck joint.
There is a screw in the middle, so drill to one side to avoid it.
I did try to mount the LED strip at the top first, but there’s no easy way to do it.
The wiring access and general look was fine for what I have in mind.
This spider will be roof mounted so the strip shouldn’t be directly visible.
I think that this mod is a huge improvement over the stock product.